Lymphatic Drainage Massage
What is Lymphatic Massage?
Lymphatic massage uses a very light touch that mimics the body's natural lymphatic pump. Unlike other bodily systems, the lymphatic system relies on exercise, gravity, and movement to filter the lymphatic fluid through the body.
Benefits of lymphatic drainage massage:
- Reduces edema (swelling) following surgery
- Reduces scar tissue, accumulation of fluid around scar
- Ideal for clients who are sensitive to touch or dislike deep tissue massage
- Filter out excessive fluid in your neck, improving drainage at onset of illness
- Relieves acute or chronic sinus congestion and allergies
- Relieves acute or chronic inflammation
- Helps promote healthy, radiant skin
- Promotes healing from injury, illness and surgery
- Boosts a sluggish immune system
- Decreases symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia
- Relaxation to help with insomnia, depression, stress, loss of vitality and loss of memory
- Detoxification of the body
- Treats swelling disorders or lymphedemas of many origins
Side effects and contraindications of lymphatic drainage massage:
- ncreased urination following treatment to expel excess fluid from the body
- Patients with fever or infection may need physician approval
- Certain cardiac conditions and untreated blood clots are contraindicated
Lymphedema is a unique type of swelling that involves fluid retention due to obstructions of the normal lymphatic flow. There are two types of lymphedema. Primary lymphedema is related to a genetic alteration of the lymph system's anatomy and mechanics. Secondary lymphedema is caused by an injury to the lymphatic vessels or nodes. This may include cancer treatment, surgery, trauma and infection.
Treatment for lymphedema
Lymphedema can be managed through complete decongestive therapy (CDT). Components of this treatment include manual lymphatic drainage (another term for lymphatic drainage massage), compression therapy/garments, exercise and patient education. At RMOM, we have a physical therapist who is certified in lymphatic treatment.